Aquaman Movie Review

picture

Aquaman movie released on November 26, 2018 (Leicester Square) and December 21, 2018(United States)
Budget near $200 million and
IMBb rating 7.8 out of 10.

Aquaman was directed by James Wan and stars Jason memo as Arthur curry and in this film he discovers that he is the rightful heir to the underwater kingdom called Atlantis. And he must fight or also known as the ocean Master, played by Patrick Wilson, because he also wants that kingdom under his rule. This is a very self aware film that's knowingly silly that's purposefully over the top. That throws everything at the screen and a gigantic explosion of underwater festivities and some punch color and pure enjoyment and fun. I think this is a really entertaining movie. And I am very surprised to say that because the trailers didn't really impress me, they looked like a bit of a mess. I was concerned about overuse of CGI, but I have to say, Please, all the visual effects designers who worked on this film, pat yourself on the back, because the work that's on display here is so incredibly impressive. It's a beautiful  movie. You can't make this movie without CG. But there were times where it reminded me of avatar just of how colorful it was. How beautiful everything looked, the ocean creatures and the costume design. Everything just leaps off the screen. It's such a bright Jason Momo is perfect casting here. I really can't imagine anyone else has this character having seen him.
As Arthur curry, he's clearly relishing every minute he has on screen. He brings so much physicality to the action scenes, which James one has taken a very unique approach to all of the hand to hand combat scenes. And the underwater battles were surprisingly unique looking. All the fight scenes are in great wide shots, you can see everything that's going on. So far, James one did a great job helming these action scenes. And honestly, for a film that I wasn't really anticipating all that much from I found myself really enjoying how purposefully silly this movie was. I feel like it's one of those movies where I can completely understand if you think this movie is just so bad that it's funny, but my retort to that is that the craft that's on display, the action sequences, the visual effects, the colors, the musical score, everything is really well done. I think that James one knows what he's doing. He is purposely making a film that is so self aware that embraces its inner Thunder cats or Sailor Moon that so many people actually really love. And if you can accept that, and appreciate that and understand that, that's really what they're going for. Because one has said that in interviews that he wanted to make a very fun movie that knew exactly what it was. And that put everything on the screen on purpose to assault you with this over I mean, an octopus plays the fucking drums. Okay, they knew what they were doing, and it's all the better for it. There's gonna be a lot of people who won't look at it like that. They're not going to see that and they're just going to think it's really poorly done. But if you're the type of person who loves very shown in anime like, Ronan warrior type stuff here, okay? There's a lot of yelling. And there's a lot of really macho testosterone muscly stuff, like if it wasn't underwater, they'd all be covered in baby oil. That's the type of movie that James Wan made here. And I really appreciated that. Unfortunately, sometimes the narrative and the pacing suffer as a result. It's never a slow film. And when I say pacing, I don't always mean that, oh, this scene is boring, or this scene isn't fast enough for this scene is too fast. Sometimes it just means that scenes aren't structured as properly as they could be. It is a film that sometimes feels like we're going to this place to get this thing. All right, we got that let's go to this place to get this thing. Okay, now we have that let's go here. There's a very Indiana Jones type feel to it. You feel sometimes like you aren't. Really watching a story so much as a really entertaining series of scenes. There's also some de aging makeup early on with a character that was so noticeable that it really took me out of almost every scene this person was in and it really bugged me because there's so many emotional scenes early on that are supposed to really hook you into the heartfelt part of this film. There's also a major attempts to get deep into the backstory of Aqua man when he was a younger kid, and it feels so quick and so incredibly rushed and pushed to the side. I just think that the first act of the movie was a bit rough, it starts to pick up its pace and get a lot more entertaining once the main mission starts, so to speak and towards the end, everything is just flying left and right. This is now the fifth time that Patrick Wilson has worked with James Wan. After the two conjuring and two insidious films. They obviously have a great working relationship together and he does a pretty good job in the movie. The character could have been a lot more fleshed out, though he's a very cliched villain, he wants to thrown Aquaman is the rightful heir. They're going to clash and Okay, you know, I'll say this, though, like the the conclusion for those characters actually did surprise me. But his character's motivation was just something we've seen 1000 times before as a physical presence, though he was great. Like, I actually felt that he could kick the shit out of Aquaman if you wanted to and there's sequences where he does. I also liked how Aquaman wasn't perfect in this movie. Like he loses a lot of battles. Some people are going to hate the way this movie turned out. I wanted a more serious Aquaman and some people who don't give a shit about Aqua manager just going to look at it and say that's really silly and dumb and it's bad. I have to disagree purely because I feel like that's exactly what they're trying to make. The visual effects are just absolutely stunning. It does whoever have a lot of narrative and pacing issues, it feels very rushed at times. And sometimes it's a bit too slow in regards to what it does. There are back stories that don't always come to full arc and sometimes they feel like they were forgotten or thrown away and there is some really noticeable D aging CGI that takes you out of the movie early on and the first act definitely had some narrative and structure issues but the movie saves itself continuously with insanely good action sequences and a really fun performance by Jason memo. I'm gonna see this movie again purely.
I enjoyed the film I'm curious to know what other people think about it. Thank you so much guys for reading. If you like this you can tell me in coments section below.

4 comments:

Powered by Blogger.